Thursday, September 22, 2011

Week 4 - Color Wheel and Shading Scale

1. Discuss what you thought about creating the Value Scale and Color Wheel.
-I thought creating the Value Scale and Color Wheel were a lot of fun. I had little difficulty with creating both but I feel as if they turned out pretty good. I decided to use a charcoal pencil to create the value scale because I thought it would turn out better and be easier, but I think I was wrong. I definitely think it turned out much better than if I were to use pencil, but it was much more difficult. I ended up with the first square being black, which is what I wanted, but then the next four after that all appeared to be the same color to me. I played around a bit with the pencil and would add some shading, erase, and repeat. What I finally ended up doing was shading with my finger. I found this to work much better because it allowed me to control how dark/light I wanted each box to be and also gave it a much cleaner look rather than seeing all of the pencil marks. The color wheel was something I had a lot of fun with. I am truly a little kid at heart and as soon as I bought my paint I had to open it up and paint all different shapes on paper. I had to try multiple times to get the colors I wanted and after a very, very, long time of trial and error I eventually came up with the exact colors I was looking for in each shade. I really enjoyed both of these processes!

2. Which media did you enjoy working with the best and why?
I enjoyed working with the color wheel best. It took much longer than I ever expected but it was really cool to combine thousands of different percentages of all different colors to finally come up with the correct shade you are looking for. Also, I enjoy working with paint much better than with a charcoal pencil. I feel as if it is much cleaner and gives a much smoother texture.

3. What was the most important discovery in the creation of these studies?
The most important discovery in both of these creations was finally figuring out what it took to complete each color and shade. I thought figuring out the shading and what primary colors combined to create new colors would be much easier. I did the shading scale first and ended up with about five boxes all looking the same. I also thought that figuring out the shades to darker scales would be more difficult than the lighter scales, but for me the lighter scales were more difficult. It was tough to show a difference with the two lightest scales and no matter what I did I just couldn’t get anything light enough. With the color wheel it was the same thing. I thought if I combined red and blue then purple would appear, and if I combined yellow and red then orange would appear. Much easier said than done that’s for sure. I always would put just a little too much of one color in and then the whole combination would be wrong. This became and ongoing process but eventually everything worked out.

4. What is the most important information you learned from watching the videos for this project? What is your opinion of the videos?
-I felt as if the videos were a little bit difficult to follow. They both jumped from one step to another, explaining things in between. The most important thing I took away from these videos was the different shades and textures that are possible to be created with a single pencil and with the color wheel I really enjoyed seeing the example with the original primary colors and showing what the primary colors should be. Very interesting but also a little bit confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment