Sunday, October 2, 2011

Art Gallery Visit #1

A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?
-Claes Oldenburg – Soft Manhattan # 1, 1966
This piece really interested me because of how different it looked from different angles. From the front it kind of resembled a person but I still was not totally understanding all of the possibilities. I stood and examined it for a few minutes and still could not understand. Finally I adjusted my view and examined it from the side and saw a clear face/ person. The image I have included is the side image. It was very interesting to see how just changing the view changed the whole art.

-James Rosenquist – Nomad, 1963
This image interested me because it had so much going on. There were images from things that represented what seemed to be everyday life, including a picnic table, chair, balloon, girl dancing, grass, a bottle, hair comb, and spaghetti. This was difficult for me to put together because there was so much going on but the image as a whole was so interesting to me. It told so many different stories, but tied together each image shared a different story but made up a whole novel it seemed like.

-This last image I cannot locate the name or artist but was one of my favorite pieces. At first when I saw it I was a bit freaked out. There were four eyes and one mouth that were all living things and was talking! I had kept walking right as I saw it because at first I didn’t really know what to think. As I continued viewing all the computer art pieces on that floor I continued to think about this one. It was one of the most interesting things I have ever seen. It was so different, strange, and unique that it kept me guessing and wonder.

B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?


-Stuart Davis – New York Waterfront, 1938
I felt really connected to this image because as soon as I saw it I knew it was NYC. I have been to the city multiple times and I absolutely love it. There is so much to do and something new to learn every time. This image stood out to me because one of my favorite parts of the city is the waterfront. My family and I have taken boats around the city and I just find the image of the waterfront to be so beautiful.

-Wayne Thiebaud – Yo- Yo’s, 1963
I connected with this image because I grew up playing with yo- yos. All the different designs on each one in the image all reminded me of the old time yo- yos that were all so popular. Today they have ones that light up and much cooler, but I still prefer the ones shown in the image! This piece brought back a lot of memories and I really enjoyed it.

-Jean (Hons) Arp L’Etoile (Star), 1956
I know it seems a bit silly but when I saw this artwork I immediately thought of the sun and being on a beach. The day I chose to go to the art gallery was on a very rainy and cold day and I woke up dreaming about lying on the beach. As soon as I saw this it brought back my dream and made me want to be lying in the sun even more!


C.) Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?


- Adolph Gottlieb – Pictograph, 1946
I would like to know more about this artwork because it was so cool to me. It caught my eye immediately but I looked and tried to analyze it for a period of time and just could not figure it out. I had read that it become part of the Martha Jackson collection and I would love to learn more about the collection, and specifically this piece.

-David Smith, Tanktotem IV, 1953
The sculptures and different steel creations really interest me. Each one is so different and unique and I would love to know more about them. I would love to find out about the creation process, length, where the idea came from, and how it was done. Very neat piece and I am sure there is a great story behind it also.

-Andy Warhol – 100 Cans, 1962
I know that this is a very famous piece of art but it is still one that I do not know much about. I remember learning about it briefly in high school but I just couldn’t seem to remember anything about it while I was standing there examining it. I know the image people are talking about when it is brought up in conversation, but cannot add anything interesting. I want to learn background and interesting information of this very famous artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment